Well well well! They finally added this! In a way 😉
As all of you are aware one beautiful thing that a lot of programming languages have is the “Try-Catch” statement. C/AL didn’t have this though. And some people never thought it would.
If you are curious about this and you want to go into more detail I invite you to check Vjeko’s blog entry for more information.
As it happens, Microsoft thought this would be a neat thing to have, and they added a property when defining the functions as follows:
The debugging process is for many people one of the most tedious tasks a developer has to do.
Depending on the complexity of the process you are trying to debug, this action can take from a few seconds to a few hours. A few hours of seeing the same lines of code over and over…
If we add to that the fact that some processes are loops and the same code is repeating itself when you only need one of the iterations (the processing of the sales lines when posting the invoice for example), the end result is a very time consuming course of action to follow.
As developers we are often faced with the choice: going with your gut or doing the due diligence and completely debugging the malfunction.
Microsoft knows this and when they can, they add some goodies to help us out as well as heping customers! This is one of them Continue reading
Finally! How many hours have I spent debugging sessions without UI with MESSAGEs and ERRORs… The good old days.
If you have done that, like me, then you will probably agree that it was not the most elegant way of finding the source of the problem. Have you ever forgotten to delete a funny MESSAGE after a session debugging with that method and had the client bring it up? I know I have.
In any case, we can finally use the debugger tool incorporated in NAV to debug the sessions without UI. That’s great. And this includes ADCS sessions too!
This is something we have been able to do for a while now, but I did not want to lose the chance of writing a post about it.
How can we do this you might say?
Let’s get to it! Continue reading
It might be that you are trying to execute some large powershell processes and you get this System.OutOfMemoryException error. It happened to me when working with the new (still unreleased) version of This is Merging! for Dynamics NAV.
If you are suffering from the same issue, what Powershell is telling you is that the Powershell session is using more memory than allowed by the system.
And since Waldo released a Powershell Wrapper for NAV (which is what TIM uses) and I was getting this error, I thought it would be interesting to make a quick blog post about it. Continue reading
I remember having seen this a while ago somewhere inside NAV but a colleague reminded me of this recently and I thought it’d make for a good post
Let’s get to it.
So yes, there is a way to accomplish this.
As most of us know by now, there are some variables within an object that are predefined for us by the system. Some of this variables can be “CurrPage”, “Rec” or “xRec”.
Well, there is another one a lot of us don’t keep in mind all the time. This variable is named: CurrFieldNo
For the last few days I have been working more than usual with Dynamics NAV Webservices in order to make available the business logic to the outside world and allow for external connections. And to do so I needed a trustworthy testing tool.
In my case I have used Soap UI in the past and have had good experiences. So I wanted to create this entry detailing how to test a webservice with this tool
To demonstrate this I have decided to create a new codeunit that has one function alone named “PrintPDFInvoice”. This function prints a PDF of a specific invoice and leaves it in a specific folder.
Before I start, I must say I first read about this on the following Kauffmann’s blog entry. So all kudos to him When I read it I found it really interesting and used it on some of the tools we use internally. So this post will be pretty much my experience with what Kauffmann knowledge
Having said that, let’s get to it!
The RecordRef variables are, for many of the developers within the Dynamics NAV community, unknown.
The number of times on which this kind of variables is useful is very limited, and therefore it does not promote its usage or knowledge.
In this post I do not seek to describe them, or how they are used. I might save this for a future entry
Recently I found myself needing to execute a page whose ID was dynamic, and the table was dynamic as well.
With the introduction of the new Role Tailored Client a few years ago, we gained a lot of things and were able to include many new and exciting features. The RTC client has as an advantage that no matter what type of screen the page is being shown in, it will resize itself to present a usable user interface, among others.
However, with the changes the new client brought, some sacrifices had to be made. Among those sacrificies we lost the ability to define colors, sizes, positions, etc of the different elements that make a form/page.
Lately I’ve been asked to check issues regarding the relation between the license and the objects contained within the system where the license is installed.
This can happen for many reasons, let it be because the client has been working with a partner’s license while the client’s license was being prepared, or let it be because there is a mandatory update that needs to be applied and the client’s license has not been updated.
Be as it may, since I’ve been asked many times the last few weeks, I wanted to write about it.
I have faced this error testing some updates I’m preparing for the automatic merging tool I did and Dynamics NAV came up with this error when I was trying to upload a 120MB file. Too large for NAV apparently.
In my case I was using NAV2013R2 at the time.